Enlarge / The MagSafe battery attached to iPhone 12 Pro models.
Apple released new versions of its iOS, tvOS, and watchOS operating systems for iPhone, Apple TV, and Apple Watch devices on Monday. The updates, called iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, and watchOS 7.6, are relatively small and include tweaks, bug fixes, and one or two minor new features.
The main drive for the iOS update appears to be the added support for the recently launched MagSafe Battery Pack, which is compatible with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro lines.
Additionally, Apple Card holders can now “combine credit limits and share an account with an existing Apple Card user,” a new option Apple first announced earlier this year.
In addition, the update is mainly about bug fixes and small optimizations and expands the regions for which the weather app provides information on air quality. (It adds Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain.)
The Apple Release Notes for iOS 14.7 are as follows:
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe battery support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card Family offers the option of combining credit limits and sharing a joint account with an existing Apple Card user
- The Home app offers the ability to manage timers on the HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain
- The Podcasts Library gives you the option to choose to watch all shows or just watched shows
- Menu option to share playlist is missing in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may stop unexpectedly
- The battery service message, which may have disappeared on some iPhone 11 models after restarting, will be restored
- Braille displays can display invalid information when composing email messages
For information about the security content of Apple software updates, see this website:
tvOS and watchOS
As is so often the case, the tvOS 14.7 update doesn’t seem like anything special. Apple says it offers bug fixes and small improvements, but the company hasn’t released a detailed list of changes.
There’s a little more going on at watchOS, but not much. Update 7.6 also fixes bugs and makes small tweaks, but the flagship change seems to be the addition of EKG support in 30 more regions. You can view the full list of countries and regions that support the feature on Apple’s watchOS website.
All three updates (iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7 and watchOS 7.6) were rolled out today on all supported devices in all regions. Oddly enough, we haven’t seen an accompanying iPadOS 14.7 update; Apple usually updates iOS and iPadOS at the same time.