Pat Gaines / Creative Commons
A mischievous beaver shut down internet service for nearly half of the 2,000 residents of a small community in the Canadian province of British Columbia over the weekend.
The fur animal chewed through an essential fiber optic cable in multiple places, causing “extensive” damage that not only turned off 900 residents of Tumbler Ridge but also caused problems for 60 cable television customers, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reported on Sunday. April 25.
The creature is not believed to have heartily protested modern technology, nor is it believed to harbor personal grudges against the residents of the community. Rather, it used material from the cable to build its house.
Liz Sauvé of telecommunications provider Telus, which supplies the service to Tumbler Ridge, described the incident as “a very bizarre and uniquely Canadian twist”.
Sauvé added, “Our team found a nearby dam and it appears that the beavers dug underground along the creek to reach our cable, which is buried about three feet underground and through a 4.5 inch thick Line is protected. The beavers chewed through the pipe first before chewing through the cable in several places. “
She said a photo taken at the point where the animal accidentally vandalized showed a line of beavers using Telus materials to build their homes.
A team of Telus engineers worked to repair the damage over the weekend and restored the affected services on Sunday afternoon, about 36 hours after the outage began. The residents of Tumbler Ridge are now hoping the pesky beavers will think twice about biting into the new cable and repeating the uncomfortable shutdown of the weekend.
The story of the internet-wrecking beaver is certainly bizarre, but it doesn’t quite beat the crazy story from the UK last year when electrical interference from an old television turned off broadband signal for an entire village for 18 months before engineers finally turned it off managed discovered the cause. When the owners of the aging TV found out that it was their device that was causing the village’s connectivity problems, they said they felt “ashamed” and agreed to stop using it.